The Quiz by Hello Saferide was easily my favorite song a few months ago. I listened to it on repeat, and it brought up questions in my mind. What would my own quiz consist of? Her list was clever and raw. It defined her hopes and expectations as well as her fears upon entering a new relationship. I sensed a cautious kind of "next step." You could tell she'd been hurt, and she was a little scared, but she was moving forward regardless. I think we all have an unspoken list of requirements for potential partners. Most people haven't put those requirements into words, which can kind of suck. Some offended or hurt when their unspoken rules are broken. Or they just don't find someone worth having, because those standards aren't clear enough in their minds. But I know those standards, those hopes, are in our hearts--silent. So I'm giving those feelings a voice. Here's my quiz:
|If you want this...|
|you better love this.|
- Do you like Harry Potter, and which house are you in?
- Are you willing to do the dishes, if I'm willing to do the laundry?
- Can you put away your phone when we're together?
- and can you call me when you know I'm anxious, and text me good morning?
- Can you tolerate my bitchiness when I'm premenstrual, and find the ibuprofen when I'm there?
- Can you watch you've got mail over and over and over and over and over and over...
- Can you be good to my friends, and love my family like your own?
- Will you take me on adventures?
- Do you like kids, and do they like you?
- Can you remind me to take my meds, and handle me when I forget?
- Will you sing with me in the car, and attempt to learn the Waycross songbook?
- Will you turn off the air and roll down the windows?
- Do you wear glasses, and do you like mine?
- Will you learn to love Waycross as I do?
- Do you care if I don't wear makeup or fix my hair? Will you think I'm pretty anyway?
- Will you make me a friendship bracelet?
- Will you sit on the fence, or jump fences for me?
- How far left do you lean, and what is your stance on God?
- Are you creeped out by pansexuality, and how do you define yourself?
- Do you like string band music?
- Will you read books with me, then discuss them over coffee?
- Will you hold the door for me, but let me hold the door for you?
- Will you hold my hand through finals?
- Are you feminist?
- Will you give me massages, and will you cuddle on the couch?
- Will you write me letters when we're apart?
- Will you watch every single episode of Buffy and Dark Angel without making fun of the terrible writing? Oh, and will you be nice even when I accidentally tell you the ending?
- Will you be my date at all my sorority dances?
- Will you only say love when you mean it?
- What are your standards?
Here's the song I was talking about.